Friday, February 13, 2009

Jericho (First Draft)

I met her young in North Carolina
Not so pretty, but uniquely spirited
Counting stars from the bed of my truck,
We begged Time to let us live
The growing light dashed any hopes like this
It got colder as the darkness lifted
They would have caught us had we not made a break for
Where the hour could not find us

Oh, you said you were my friend: my lock, stock/my safety
I needed that ride home; I'm stuck with strangers now
Well, I don't need your help- Not yours, not no one's
You said you were my friend; you said you were my friend

We made it There with no real problems
And no idea what they had planned for us
One took a shot that passed right through me
And straight into her heart
With no attention paid to my wounds,
I pulled her up and out of harm's way
She was calm; she had no illusion
That she would live through this

You said you were my friend...

And you've become my Jericho
I am no... No Joshua

You said you were my friend...

Words & Music by Daineal James Parker

1 comment:

Knux said...

Sounds familiar. Sounds unfortunate. Who is she?