Thursday, June 4, 2009

Adversary

It's storming out. Alive with the wrath of God: thunder shaking the house like His own footsteps on the front porch.

I sat down on my lovely baby grand, and out came an old song. It never got recorded, and I have resolved to remedy that.

I watched the raven circle anxiously above my head
Turned back to see my city as salt formed on my fingertips
Saw the ocean trade its mystery for the luster of a moonlit wing
I heard your voice on the wind...

I gave oxygen to a world that was never meant to breathe
My blindness felt its way through a place that dies with every feeling
Gave her the antidote to a poison that would let her sleep
How cries the enemy? Out cries the enemy...

I watched the mountain trade for fame its majesty with ashes

Its darkness burns in my chest

Here, I've insulted a man on the brink of suicide
Gave indecision to the faithful-hearted, do or die
Handed her the letter just before she felt the lightning strike
How cries the enemy? Now cries the enemy!

And I don't plan to let you walk away unharmed...

Hallelujah...

Just as love comes with hurt
And just as war comes with lives lost
The same as you are gone now
It's the only thing worth living and dying for

The only thing worth living and dying for


2 comments:

Knux said...

Your lyrics explain so much. I'm enveloped in your words.

Jeanne said...

This is a brilliant line:
"I gave oxygen to a world that was never meant to breathe"